So I was out to dinner with an old friend (The Works = amazing – Shout Out!), and it suddenly hit me: “Holy shish-kabobs! I completely flaked on Tenpine turning 3 a few weeks ago.” (my apologies to Jeff, Ashwin & the Groovy Gang, I owe you guys a dinner).
Once I finished smacking myself for not even acknowledging it in a Facebook post (I rationalized it by saying kids that young might not even remember their birthday was missed.. right?), I had a small back patting moment as I recalled the career plan I made for myself coming out of High School:
- Take the Policing program to have that in my back pocket
- Take the Interactive Multimedia Post Graduate program
- Find a Job in the web / media field
- Parlay that into starting my own web / media business
- Start living the dream!
CHECK! I’m proud of that forethinking wise beyond his years 18 year old, good on ya young me.
To celebrate, here is a list of random small business owning thoughts / lessons / rules I’ve learned so far in no particular order:
- Word of mouth should be your #1 asset, customer service is tops.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one marketing basket, many do not work.
- Be loyal with your network and grow together, have each others back.
- The more organized you are the better, invest in folders & paper clips.
- Be strict with your business hours, balance = long term sustainability.
- Watch the dollars closely, but don’t sweat the cents.
A huge thanks to my family and friends for their constant support, and to everyone who has played an important part of my business life.
I’d be no where without you.